I have been a Reiki Practitioner since 1993 receiving traditional, direct, one-on-one Reiki initiations from Reiki Masters in Canada and the USA in two systems of Reiki, namely:
- the Usui System of Natural Healing with Master Dee Millard (I & II) and Master Anita Levin (I);
- Komyo ReikiDo with (Master James Wells (I – Shoden).
What does the word Reiki mean?
We could say that Reiki is “spiritually guided life force energy.”
The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words:
- Rei – which means “God’s Wisdom or the Higher Power”, and
- Ki – which is “life force energy”.
Laying on of hands
As mentioned above, Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is typically administered by an Initiated Practitioner placing their hands – “laying on hands” – on various locations on a recipient’s body, and is based on the fact that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive.
If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
While Reiki is spiritual in nature, it is not a religion. It has no dogma, and there is nothing you must believe in order to learn and use Reiki.
Master Mikao Usui
Master Mikao Usui, developed the Usui System of Natural Healing, a Reiki healing system from Japan. The Usui System of Natural Healing provides techniques for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing that is administered by “the laying on of hands”.
The Five Reiki Precepts
These are the 5 Precepts, Principles of Reiki, from Hyakuten Inamoto of Komyo ReikiDo.
Just for today:
- Do not anger
- Do not worry
- With thankfulness
- Work diligently
- Be kind to others
Reported Benefits from Reiki Treatments
There are many reported benefits to having a Reiki treatment such as:
- better sleep
- increased energy levels
- reduced stress
- boosted the immune system
- feeling more relaxed
- enhanced self confidence and self esteem
- assisting in the healing of injuries
- benefits chronic and acute medical conditions
- helps to maintain a healthy mind and body.
- improvement when faced with health challenges
- pain relief
- help during times of major change
- comfort in times of bereavement and with the grieving process
- accelerated healing process after surgery
- assisted in the healing of orthopaedic injuries
- overcoming fears
- feeling and being pampered
Reiki complements conventional medicine and other complementary therapies
Typical Reiki Treatment-Session
In a typical Reiki Treatment Session you will be fully clothed and laying on a treatment table, or perhaps sitting comfortably supported in a chair.
My hands are placed and held on a series of locations on the head, and the front, and then the back of your body.
Reiki Hand Positions – Front of Body
Reiki hand positions when laying face-up on a treatment table.
Reiki Hand Positions – Back of Body
Reiki hand positions when laying face-down on a treatment table.
The placement of the hands is never intrusive or inappropriate, nor should you feel any heavy pressure.
Additional Hand Placements
Additional hand placements can be done as needed, for example, if there is an injury or surgical scar. I will hold my hands just off the body if needed, for example, in the presence of an open wound or burn.
Length of Reiki Treatment Session
The complete Reiki Treatment Session is one hour from beginning to end, of which approximately 45 minutes is hands-on.
- Chinese Astrology
- Feng Shui
- Ho’oponopono – Self I-Dentity through Ho’oponopono (SITH)
- New Thought
- Sanatana Dharma aka Hinduism