Cancer is a term that describes a group of diseases that occur when abnormal cells grow and divide uncontrollably, sometimes forming lumps called tumours. Cancer can affect any part of the body and can spread to other tissues and organs through the blood or lymphatic system.
I am a Prostate Cancer survivor, having been treated using radiotherapy and Firmagon/Dagarelix hormone therapy.
Many Types of Cancer
There are many types of cancer, each with different causes, symptoms, treatments and outcomes. Some of the most common types of cancer are breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer and skin cancer. Some cancers are named after the organ or tissue where they start, such as liver cancer or brain cancer. Others are named after the type of cell or tissue involved, such as leukemia (cancer of blood cells) or sarcoma (cancer of connective tissues).
Causes of Cancer
The causes of cancer are not fully understood, but some factors that may increase the risk of developing cancer include genetic mutations, exposure to radiation or chemicals, infections, smoking, obesity, age and family history. However, having one or more risk factors does not mean that a person will get cancer. Likewise, some people may develop cancer without any known risk factors.
Treatment of Cancer
The treatment of cancer depends on many factors, such as the type, stage and location of the cancer, the overall health and preferences of the patient and the availability of resources. Some of the common treatments for cancer include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy and hormone therapy. Sometimes, more than one type of treatment is used to achieve the best results.
Prevention of Cancer
The prevention of cancer is not always possible, but some steps that may help reduce the risk of developing cancer include avoiding tobacco use, limiting alcohol consumption, eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, protecting the skin from sun exposure, getting vaccinated against certain infections and getting regular screening tests.
Cancer is a complex and challenging disease that affects millions of people around the world. However, there is also hope and progress in the field of cancer research and care. Many types of cancer can be cured or controlled with early detection and effective treatment. New therapies and technologies are being developed and tested to improve the outcomes and quality of life for people with cancer.
- [A to Z List of Cancer Types – NCI – National Cancer Institute](https://www.cancer.gov/types)
- [Types of cancer | Canadian Cancer Society](https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/what-is-cancer/types-of-cancer)
- [All About Cancer | American Cancer Society](https://www.cancer.org/cancer.html)
- [Cancer: Types, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention – Healthline](https://www.healthline.com/health/cancer)
Explore Health Issues & Info
Explore with Richard
- Explore My Points of Reference.
- Explore My Teachers, Guides, and Mentors.
- Explore My Recommended Reading.
- Explore and learn more about Reconnecting With Spirit.
- Explore My 365 Daily Inspiration.
- Book an appointment for a Free Introductory Conversation with Richard.
"Be practical and expect miracles when you just take the first step forward every day." -Richard Edward Ward