The Science of Mind originally published by Ernest Holmes in 1926 emphasizes positive thinking, the influence of circumstances through mental processes, recognition of a creative energy source and of natural law, and the use of what Holmes called Spiritual Mind Treatment or Affirmative Prayer.
In The Science of Mind Holmes sets forth a new relationship between mankind and God.
Holmes shows how people can actively engage their mind in creating change throughout their lives. He provides detailed steps of how to pray and meditate, heal oneself spiritually, find self-confidence, and express love.
The Science of Mind – 1926 Edition
Ernest Holmes published The Science of Mind in 1926.
Buy The Science of Mind – 1926 on amazon.
The Science of Mind – 1938 Edition
A revised version of The Science of Mind was published by Ernest Holmes in 1938 with the assistance of Maude Allison Lathem.
The version I am referencing goes to an edition with an Introduction by Jean Houston.
Buy The Science of Mind – 1938 on amazon.
Science of Mind: What We Believe by Ernest Holmes
“What We Believe” by Ernest Holmes, was published in the first issue of Science of Mind Magazine, October, 1927.
- We believe in God, the Living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute and self-existent Cause. This One manifests Itself in and through all creation but is not absorbed by its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
- We believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in everyone and that all people are incarnations of the One Spirit.
- We believe in the eternality, the immortality, and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
- We believe that Heaven is within us and that we experience it to the degree that we become conscious of it.
- We believe the ultimate goal of life to be a complete emancipation from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
- We believe in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God.
- We believe that God is personal to all who feel this Indwelling Presence.
- We believe in the direct revelation of Truth through the intuitive and spiritual nature of the individual, and that any person may become a revealer of Truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
- We believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts upon it.
- We believe in the healing of the sick through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the control of conditions through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-kindness, and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
- We believe in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny; for we understand that the life of all is God.
Church of Religious Science
The Science of Mind served as the foundation text for the Church of Religious Science.
Centers For Spiritual Living
Centers For Spiritual Living carry on the traditions begun in the Church of Religious Science.