The SA TA NA MA meditation, or Kirtin Kriya meditation, is an important meditation in Kundalini Yoga. It was one of the first meditations taught by Yogi Bhajan and remains today as a foundation meditation recommended for every student of Kundalini yoga.
If you can do only one meditation, this is it
Yogi Bhajan is quoted as saying:
If you can do only one meditation, this is it.
It does everything for you in the order that you need.
It is your teacher.
And as you practice it, you will come to realize that it is your best friend.
Whatever you need at the moment, it will readjust and align you to bring balance into your mind and thus your life.
Although I am not a student of Kundalini Yoga it is my main meditation.
This is a tried and proven meditation that works for me. All you have to do is do it. You can trust the process and the technology.
Healing TBI & ABI Head Injuries with SA TA Na MA Meditation
I learned of this meditation technique from Dr. Daniel Amen as discussed in this article Dr. Daniel Amen recommends Kirtan Kriya – the the SA TA NA MA meditation.
I also recommend the article Heal yourself by practicing Medical Meditation by Dr. Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D.
Mantra and Mudra
This meditation incorporates mantra and mudra.
- A mantra is a sacred word, chant, or sound that is repeated during meditation.
- A mudra is the holding or moving of the hands and or fingers in a certain way.
SA TA NA MA Mantra Video.
A wonderful video with Guruka Singh Khalsa showing the steps involved in practicing the Kirtan Kriya meditation.I love this video. I watched it often as I was learning the SaTaNaMa meditation and I like to go back to it.
Mantras are powerful tools for clearing and restructuring the subconscious mind.
SA TA NA MA, a derivative SAT NAM, is taught by Yogi Bhajan to reorient the mind and thus open us up to the possibility of transformational change.
SAT NAM seeds the truth in our consciousness by waking us up to our divine identity.
SAT NAM is the seed or bij mantra.
SA TA NA MA incorporates the nuclear sounds of SAT NAM.
SA TA NA MA uses the primal sounds to connect us to the evolutionary nature of existence itself. It is referred to as a mantra with five sound currents. The fifth sound is “A.”
When we chant SA TA NA MA we imprint the evolutionary code of the universe into our human psyche.
- SA: is the beginning, infinity, the totality of everything that ever was, is or will be.
- TA: is life, existence and creativity that manifests from infinity.
- NA: is death, change and the transformation of consciousness.
- MA: is rebirth, regeneration and resurrection which allows us to consciously experience the joy of the infinite.
SA TA NA MA is so primal that its impact on our psyche is like splitting an atom. The power of his mantra comes from the fact that it rearranges the subconscious mind at the most elementary level. It has the power to break habits and addictions because it accesses the level of the mind where habits are created.
SA TA NA MA Mudra
While chanting SA TA NA MA we are also using our fingers, alternately press the thumb with the four fingers.
Press hard enough to keep yourself awake and aware of the pressure. Keep repeating in a stable rhythm and keep the hand motion going throughout the whole meditation.
- SA: press the thumb and the first finger together.
- TA: press the thumb and the middle finger together.
- NA: press the thumb and the ring finger together.
- MA: press the thumb and the small finger together.
Visualize or feel each individual sound come in the crown chakra at the top of the head, down through the middle of the head and out to infinity through the third eye.
This is very important and must be done with each sound. It is an essential part of the cleansing process.
If this part of the meditation is not done, you may experience a headache.
Each time you close a mudra by joining the thumb with a finger, your ego “seals” its effect in your consciousness. The effects are:
- First finger: The Jupiter finger brings in knowledge, expands our field of possibilities and releases us from limitations.
- Middle finger: The Saturn finger gives us patience, wisdom and purity.
- Ring finger: The Sun finger gives us vitality and aliveness.
- Small finger: The Mercury finger aids clear communication.
While doing the meditation, you may experience pictures of the past come up like on a movie screen in your mind. Let them dance in front of your eyes and release them with the mantra. This is part of the cleansing of the subconscious mind.
If emotions come up, you can also incorporate them in the chanting, i.e. if you feel anger then chant out the anger. Whatever you experience is OK. Do not try to avoid or control your experiences.
Simply be with what is going on and go through it. It is all part of the cleansing process.
Instructions and Directions
Following are the instructions for the 11 minute and 31 minute SA TA NA MA: