Your IT Resume Cover Letter has only one purpose – to get Your IT Resume opened and read…so that you will get a job interview. There are 7 basic parts to a great resume cover letter.
Your IT Resume Cover Letter must stimulate the recipient of your resume to open your resume and give you consideration. You are introducing yourself and saying that you have what it takes to do the job that they are trying to fill.
Your IT Resume Cover Letter goes in the e-mail Message
In the age of e-mail Your IT Resume Cover Letter should go in the message of the e-mail and not as an attachment because it probably will not be opened and read as an attachment.
Keep your cover letter brief.
Assume that the person receiving your resume is busy – very busy and you are competing for their attention.
Be thoughtful, and put yourself in their shoes. Keep your cover letter brief and to the point. You are not writing an essay or a novel.
There are 7 basic parts to a great IT Resume Cover Letter:
Your IT Resume Cover Letter contains 7 parts:
- Your basic contact information including your name, telephone number and e-mail address at the top of the Cover Letter.
- Address the letter to someone in particular, if you can, or use To Whom It May Concern.
- Name the position that you are applying for unless a file reference number is requested, then use the file reference number.
- In point form list the 3 or 4 most career highlights that relate directly to the IT job according to the ad that you are responding to.
- Tell them that you have attached your resume that provides a detailed overview of your skills, experience, education, training and achievements.
- Thank the person for taking the time to read your IT resume.
- Sign the e-mail with your name, home telephone number and personal e-mail address.
Remember – your IT Resume Cover Letter has only one purpose – to get Your IT Resume opened and read…so that you will get a job interview.
Richard E. Ward
Your IT Job Search Coaching
Your IT Job Search Related Pages:
Also take a looksee at: